Useful Links

Get in Touch

Perfect Irish Gift

Unit 45 Port Tunnel Business Park,

Dublin, Ireland

 

Tel: +353 1 2549876

Email: info@perfectirishgift.com

 

 

Glencullen History

 

Perfect Irish Gift is located in Glencullen “valley of the holly" the village famous and steeped with history located 30 mins drive from Dublin City Centre. Glencullen was home to the politician Christopher Fitzsimon, son-in-law of Daniel O'Connell. 

 

In August 1841 the village was centre of the agitation movement against Robert Peel's government when the "cabinet council" was convened at Fitzsimon's seat. Attendees included Viscount Morpethand Frederick Romilly. During the Fenian Insurrection of 1867 the nine policemen of Glencullen barracks surrendered to the Irish Republic.

 

Located close to Perfect Irish Gift is a stone with the inscription, “O'Connell's Rock, 23 July 1823”. Daniel O'Connellgave an address to the local populace from this rock as they celebrated Garland Sunday that year.

Johnnie Fox's Pub

 

At the centre of the village is Johnnie Fox's Pub (pictured left) , which was established in 1798, the year of the Irish Rebellion led by Theobald Wolfe Tone. It’s the highest pub in Ireland and one of Ireland most popular tourist attractions used by the 1916 Rebellion leaders as a regular meeting place.

 

 

Heritage

 

A wedge-tomb formerly known as The Giant’s Grave is situated in forestry on the slopes of the Three Rock Mountain (pictured right). This Bronze Age monument was built c. 1700 B.C and is considered to be one of the best of its type in Ireland. It is a rectangular chamber divided into three parts surrounded by a U shaped double walled kerb filled with stones. The tomb was excavated in the 1940s when cremated bone, a polished stone hammer, flints and pottery were found.

 

 

Close to the summit of Tibradden Mountain is a prehistoric burial site. It was excavated in 1849 by members of the Royal Irish Academy who found a stone-lined cist containing a pottery vessel and cremated remains, now preserved by the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin. A stone bench was also found in the centre, apparently built for the convenience of visitors to the site. It is now accepted that the monument is in fact a chambered cairnwith a cist burial at the centre. The site may be the burial place of Bródáin, after whom the mountain is named. Within the chamber itself lies a stone with a spiral pattern.